What is Yoga?
Yoga means union. It is the union of mind, body, and spirit. While this refers to a state of consciousness, it is also a method to help reach that goal.
Yoga Classes at The Studio
Our classes are tailored toward beginning and intermediate levels, although advanced yoga practitioners will also greatly benefit. These are traditional, slow-paced, meditative classes that encourage proper breathing, flexibility, strength, and vitality, while also calming the mind and relieving stress. A typical class will include:
- Pranayama (breathing exercises)
- Warm-ups exercises including Sun Salutations
- 12 basic asanas (postures), with relaxation between asanas
- Deep relaxation
The 12 Basic Asanas
Asana is one of the eight limbs of classical yoga, which states that poses should be steady and comfortable, firm yet relaxed helping a practitioner to become more aware of their body, mind, and environment. Our focus is on mastering the basic asanas from which variations are then added to further deepen the practice. Within the Sivananda tradition, the asanas follow an exact order that allows for the systematic movement of every major part of the body in a balanced way that enhances prana (life force energy), keeping the mind quiet, without the need to think beyond each individual pose. Additional variations may also be taught to meet your experience level and abilities.
- Headstand (sirsasana) optional or replace with Dolphin
- Shoulderstand (sarvangasana)
- Plough (halasana)
- Fish (matsyasana)
- Sitting Forward Bend (paschimothanasana)
- Cobra (bhujangasana)
- Locust (shalabhasana)
- Bow (dhanurasana)
- Spinal Twist (ardha matsyendrasana)
- Crow (kakasana)
- Standing forward bend (pada hasthasana)
- Triangle (trikonasana)
The Five Points of Yoga
- Proper Exercise (asanas) - Yoga poses help develop a strong, healthy body, enhances flexibility, and improves circulation.
- Proper Breathing (pranayama) - Deep, conscious breathing reduces stress and disease.
- Proper Relaxation - Reduce stress and anxiety, and ease worrying and fatigue.
- Proper Diet - Eating simple, healthy and vegetarian food that are easy to digest has a positive effect on the mind and body, as well as benefiting the environment and other living beings.
- Positive Thinking and Meditation - These are the true keys to achieving peace of mind and eliminating negatively and stress in our lives.
Yoga has many tangible, powerful benefits on a mental and physical level, so let our instructors provide them for you. Whatever your challenges and goals are in life, we know that yoga is a powerful tool to help you achieve those goals. Yoga and meditation can happen anywhere, at any time, and we would love to teach you how. We are looking forward to sharing the gift of yoga with you. Contact us at The Studio - La Pine today for more information about our services